Sunday 31 March 2013

Movie Review: The Host

When an unseen enemy threatens mankind by taking over their bodies and erasing their memories, Melanie will risk everything to protect the people she cares most about, proving that love can conquer all in a dangerous new world.

I went into the movie without too much expectations, as besides one trailer and a few photos I hadn't seen much else. I had read the book though, but since it has been a fair amount of years back since I've read it, I couldn't exactly remember anymore what was about to happen, though I knew how the rough storyline was. And that might have been good thing. REVIEW WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK.

I'm curious to hear from someone who hasn't read the book how clear the movie was to them. The whole concept of what has happened is explained, but the internal struggle between Wanda and Melanie that is so clear and present in the book, was sulled a little in the movie. That has been the thing I've been wary about ever since I heard they were going to make it into a movie. Don't get me wrong, they did well, but I wonder how clear it was how big that struggle was.

The actors did well though. I was convinced by the trio in the movie, Saoirse Ronan, Jake Abel and Max Irons. Though the best performances in the movie for me were Diane Kruger (The Seeker) and William Hurt (Jeb). I could really connect with their characters, it really felt like they exactly stepped out of the pages of the book, very well done.

The film was well put together, as far as I could remember it stayed close to the book and the actors did a good job. Still I wasn't fully convinced, it didn't wauw me. The movie was good, but I'm just wondering if a book like this shouldn't just have stayed a book. To me it had much more power in the written version than the movie version.

One thing that they didn't stick to with the book was that Wanda wasn't blonde at the end. Not a major thing, I know, but since there will be a second book and most likely then also a second movie, it's just something that bugged me a tiny bit. Was surprised to learn that it was Emily Browning who plays Wanda. As I mentioned, I didn't see much material beforehand, so I had no clue she was cast for it.

Overal I would say 3/5 stars, mostly because it didn't give me much of, let's say, added value in comparison to the book.

11 comments:

  1. I'm going to see the movie next week. I'm really looking forward to it, so I'm kind of hoping I'll like it more than you did :P

    (one thing: you wrote 'versie' in stead of 'version')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Oh oops, thanks for pointing out!)

      Yeah I do hope you will like it more than I did ;) I just wasn't too impressed

      Delete
  2. I might skip this in the cinema and wait for it to come on dvd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am slightly intrigued by what I've heard so far concerning the plot and all, but since it was written by Stephanie Meyer I've been VERY suspicious of it's quality and over-all great-ness. I think I will read the book first and then mayyybe see the film at some point.

    Thanks for the review., I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I find it way, way, way better than the Twilight books ;)

      Delete
  4. Happy Easter!
    Might watch this on DVD, but probably not in the cinema!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to see it next week. I didn't know that there will be a second book though. It's a shame, the book is great and doesn't need a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ik heb het boek niet gelezen, maar wil deze film eigenlijk wel zien!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the movie the night it came out, I didn't love it either but I thought it was good. I haven't read the book yet so I had nothing to compare it to so we'll see if I feel the same after I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know there was going to be a second book. That's a definite dislike for me. But I'll see it this Wednesday (with Joyce) haha. Quite curious about it, and I hope too, that I like it more than you did. My expectations are not that high, so we will see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to post a review of this movie as well, but I think I'll just direct people to this link because I think I would be writing pretty much the same as you xD It's not that I disliked the movie, but I'm just not sure if it was really necessary to make a movie...

    ReplyDelete